The arrival of a newborn is a momentous event that brings immense joy to parents. To capture this special moment, many parents opt for newborn photography sessions. While some prefer to have these sessions done by professional photographers, others choose to take the photos themselves in their homes.
Several factors need to be considered to create a serene and comfortable environment for the photo shoot, such as selecting the perfect location, choosing appropriate props, and setting up suitable lighting.
In this guied, we will explore some tips and ideas to help you create a tranquil and aesthetically pleasing backdrop for your newborn photoshoot at home.
How to create a calming environment for newborn photos at home?
Creating a comfortable and calming environment for newborn photography in your home is essential to ensure the baby feels safe and relaxed during the shoot. Here are some tips to help you create the perfect setting for your newborn photography session:
- Choose a room with natural light: Natural light is the best option for newborn photography as it is soft and flattering. Choose a room with plenty of natural light, such as large windows or a patio door.
- Keep the room warm: Newborns are used to being in a friendly and cozy environment, so make sure the room you choose is at a comfortable temperature. This will help keep the baby relaxed and asleep during the shoot.
- Use soft fabrics and textures: Use soft blankets, wraps, and fabrics to create a comfortable and cozy environment for the baby. These textures can also add a beautiful dimension to your photographs.
- Play soothing music: Soft and calming music can help create a relaxing atmosphere for the baby and the parents. Consider playing lullabies or instrumental music in the background.
- Keep the background simple: Your newborn photography should focus on the baby, so keep the background simple and clutter-free. A plain white or neutral-colored wall or a simple backdrop can work well.
How do I keep my newborn calm during a photoshoot?
Taking photos of a newborn can be challenging, as babies can be fussy and difficult to keep calm for an extended period. Here are some tips that may help:
- Schedule the photo shoot during your baby’s nap time. Newborns sleep most of the day, so it’s best to schedule the photo shoot when your baby is likely sleeping. This will make it easier to pose your baby without disturbing them.
- Keep the room warm. Newborns are used to being in a friendly and cozy environment in the womb, so it’s important to keep the room warm during the photoshoot. This will help your baby feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Use white noise or calming music. Playing white noise or calming music can help soothe your baby and make them feel more relaxed during the photoshoot.
- Use a pacifier. Pacifiers can be a great tool for soothing newborns during a photoshoot. The sucking motion can help calm your baby and keep them content while you take photos.
- Take breaks as needed. Newborns have a short attention span, so taking breaks as required is important to give your baby a chance to rest and relax.
- Be patient. Taking photos of a newborn can take time and patience. Be prepared to take breaks and work with your baby’s schedule to ensure a successful photoshoot.
Is the baby awake for newborn photography?
Newborns can be photographed while awake, but most photographers prefer to photograph them while sleeping. This is because sleeping babies are easier to pose and less likely to fuss or move around during the session. Additionally, many popular newborn poses, such as the “froggy” pose, require the baby to be asleep.
That being said, if your baby is awake during the photo shoot, the photographer may still be able to capture some beautiful shots. Awake babies can have bright, alert eyes that make for stunning photos.
How long should a newborn photo session be?
The length of a newborn photo session can vary depending on the photographer, the number of setups and poses you want, and your baby’s temperament. However, a typical newborn photo session can last 2 to 4 hours.
Newborns require a lot of attention and care, and it’s important to take breaks as needed to feed, change, and soothe your baby during the session. The photographer may also need time to set up different poses and props, which can add to the overall session time.
It’s important to schedule the newborn photo session when your baby is at their best, typically within the first two weeks of life. During this time, newborns tend to sleep more and pose more easily.
Discuss the session length with your photographer beforehand so you understand what to expect. You can also discuss any concerns or questions about the session to ensure a successful and stress-free experience.